Sunday, May 15, 2011

Week 15: Final Portfolio

                            Flickr Final Portfolio



This semester has gone so fast, but It's been great! I have learned so much about the human anatomy, and how the body works...it's been really amazing to spend an entire semester drawing directly from a model. At the beginning of the semester it hard to get into the habit of drawing gestures for the first half hour of class or so, because I wanted to start right into drawing the full body complete with details. Your arm also gets tired very quickly, which can be discouraging. I think I have built up a tolerance for it by now however, and the time goes by quicker than ever once you forget about it. The mannequin was also really helpful in understanding the muscles, the class would be pretty difficult without having that knowledge on the side to reference from. I don't think I'll be able to remember all of the names, but I know I can at least recognize their function and placement on the human body.
     I have such an admiration and appreciation of the human body because of this class. The simple things such as studying the shoulder blade, learning the bone structure underneath it, and then watching it the muscles move and flex on the model. Amazing. Our bodies are so fantastic when you really understand them, and I don't even have to be a doctor. I don't know how our nerves and blood cells work as in depth, but I can still have a this great appreciation and wonder from drawing the body, which is cool!
     Its such a great opportunity to also go to the open life drawing as well because the cost is usually so high to draw from a live model, and at Stout everything is paid for. Hopefully I'll continue to attend the drawing sessions next year when I get the chance, it'd be a great way to keep up my drawing skills. I'm a Graphic Design major, but having good illustration skills is also really important to integrate into my portfolio.

1 comment: