Monday, April 18, 2011

Week 11



Well I thought I'd hate drawing hands, because every time I try they always turn out looking like sausage links.. but I really enjoyed drawing them this past week. We had several models positioned throughout the room during class. I thought it'd be a good idea to start out with the skeleton model...get a good sense of structure and bones underneath the skin and muscles before I draw a real hand. The finger bones are pretty crazy..each palm has "phalange" bones attached, with a squared off edge. The phalanges are connected to metacarpals, which have more rounded ends, as you can see in these notes:



After I worked on the skeleton most of monday, wednesday and friday I started working on the live model hands, and how the muscles interacted. It was difficult to capture the knuckles just right, because many times you cant see the bone actually, but have to draw it as if it were there underneath anyways. Shading and adding value helped a lot though, which is something I haven't had a whole lot of time to add into my drawings. We spent the entire class time working just on hands, so it was nice to get detailed with them. Hands say so much about a person...rough, delicate, strong, tiny...so interesting.





No comments:

Post a Comment